Date: 2024-05-03 14:27 | Last update:

Windows Software

A forum for discussions of Windows software related issues

Slack Space 1613 Legacy OS 455 Windows Hardware 9627 Windows Software 5498 Windows Games 5469 Windows Networking 2246 Customization Tweaking 1790 Feedback 1316 Everything New Technology 1823 Windows Security 292

XP Pro crashes on start up

kvc
Hi everyone I have a 2 year old sony vaio running XP pro. it crashed one day and when i restarted using the on/off button it would start initially, and then hang immediately. I tried system restore but it would not work as it would hang at `logging off`, and i had to `kill` the m/c using the on off button.
6 6696

Excel 2007: formulas changed to =#N/A

Myke
Multiple Excel spreadsheets are experiencing a very similar issue, which I have been unable to find a resolution for. Researching has led to finding that a lot of other people have experienced a similar issue, but with no workaround or way to resolve it:.
10 39997
avatar Last reply by Mark Walters on

Start Page Hijacked

Sinluan
Something has hijacked my internet start page to About: Blank. I have an XP OS and the most recent iterration of IE but using my internet options to set the page is not working properly as it continues to reset itself to about: blank.
1 4037
avatar Last reply by apometron on

I have the process manager only

Doomslay
I joined this board because another member of this board had the same issue but I did not see the reply can you please help me I have windows 7 ultimate. I can currently see only the process manager from the task manager and I dont know how to get the rest of the options back.
1 4400
avatar Last reply by Doomslay on

realtek windows 7 recording issue

steven5638
ive tried every thing i know wich isnt much but i can not record i have windows 7 and realtek ive tried all the combinations when i do get a recording it has a lot of hiss music plys fine otherwise just not recording?
0 5457
avatar Last reply by steven5638 on

Whats da best recommended firewall or anti-virus for my serv

Seducer
My server is NT4 SP5 and I was connected to my ISP using a wireless connection with a speed of 1MB in other words im WAN. I hav almost 50 workstations connected to INTERNET. Should I install firewall? or just an anti-virus program? if i should install anti-virus, where will i put? should be in the client side or in ...
11 9978

RE: Multi-boot managers

Onaran
I'm preparing to have custom-build shop do PC with three hard disk drives. HDD#1 will be dedicated LinuxMint 10; HDD#2 for XP Pro+BrowserLinux on partition; and HDD#3 will be SATA mobile-rack for trial of PC-BSD 8.
1 4672
avatar Last reply by jimsing59 on

Trying to prevent reinstalling WinXP

mjwebb007
Working on a Dell laptop for a friend of a friend. WinXP takes forever to boot. . . over 3 minutes. Also takes about the same amount of time to shut down. There is no task bar, CTRL+ESC does nothing.
2 4129
avatar Last reply by mjwebb007 on

Batch Files and Application Focus

miku
Hi Guys, I am using Batch file to call another program with some parameters and stuff. When I do this, it shows the ugly dos window and my program executes properly. The DOS window doesn't go away until my program is finished and it looks very ugly.
3 14148
avatar Last reply by ieteeman on

XP's CD/DVD-writer any good?

packman
For years now, I've always used a cut-down version of Nero that I bought and put on my WinXP PC for writing CDs and DVDs. Alongside it, I've used InCD, the packetiser from Nero/Ahead that allows you to format/write/read re-writeable CDs and DVDs.
2 3921
avatar Last reply by mlongue1 on

Does updating Office2003 produce Office2007/10?

packman
Does applying periodic updates to Office 2003 Standard, either via the Windows Update website or the Office section of microsoft. com, change the style/appearance of Office 2003's constituent components (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc)? That's to say, other than the up applying security fixes and the occasional bug fix, ...
2 3671

Can all-to-rm conversion be fulfilled?

light111
I am in urgent need of a video converter which can convert all popular formats to rm and rmvb. For instance, 3gp to rm, wmv to rm, avi to rm. Could you find one for me? Thank you in advance!.
0 2410
avatar Last reply by light111 on

Reinstalling WinXP: How do I ensure I get IE7?

packman
I'm currently planning the build of a new Windows PC, to replace my slow, 10-yr old machine. Pretty much all of the hardware will be different, so I'm going to have to install my WinXP SP2 (32-bit) and other software from scratch and then apply the appropriate updates again.
3 3393

Task manager in Win XP is not appearing whole

spyki
Hi everyone, I have this problem since I followed some advice from the internet on how to minimize my start programs so my computer runs faster. I went to services. msc through RUN and I made a few changes always double checking online what other people say about it.
2 3552

XP's “New Program Installed" bubble

rgchere
I am not asking how to turn this off; I have a deeper question. If I did not install any software and I am not connected to the internet (thus no automatic program in installations are possible) why should I keep getting this balloon notification? I rarely do I connect to Internet.
0 3974

Fast User Switching Issue in Win7

mjwebb007
The guy I work for is using a Win7 32-bit Dell Latitude laptop. When he goes to switch users (he has five different profiles set up), the screen often goes black and nothing happens. After I randomly hit the ESC button, the Win button, the spacebar or the mouse button (no rhyme or reason) it eventually presents the ...
3 3714
avatar Last reply by mjwebb007 on

IE8--Gif's problem

Cormac
Hey all, it's been awhile. The problem I'm having is I finally decided to update to IE 8 incase my Firefox went down for some reason. Now IE 8 claims that only it can show gif files for me. I've tried using my normal viewing program, Vue Print Pro32 and it won't show gif's anymore.
1 4865