ATI X850 Pro DVI Not Working

Hello, This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum so please bear with me. I just pruchased an ATI X850 Pro. This is an upgrade from an ATI 9600 SE 128mb(1 vga, 1 dvi). Before installing the new card I uninstalled all of the old ATI software and drivers.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-03
Hello,

This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum so please bear with me.

I just pruchased an ATI X850 Pro. This is an upgrade from an ATI 9600 SE 128mb(1 vga, 1 dvi). Before installing the new card I uninstalled all of the old ATI software and drivers.

After installing the new card I installed the new catlyst software and drivers. When hooking the LCD monitor to the VGA the monitor works fine. When connecting to the DVI on the card the LCD monitor gets no signal. I immediatley connected the LCD monitor with the same dvi cable to a different computer equipped with a nvidia 7800 and it worked fine. Knowing this I then decided to start over. I re-installed my old ATI 9600 card and hooked up to its DVI and it also worked just fine.

Next I re-installed the new ATI X850 and the same problem, no signal to monitor. ATI's website recommended to disable the USB ports and also to use PS2 mouse and keyboard. I did this and again, still no signal. Next I shut down the computer and hooked the monitor up with the VGA cable with a VGA to DVI adaptor and connected it to the dvi, rebooted and it worked. Next I Shut down, disconnected vga w/ adapter and switched back to the dvi cable and once again no signal.

Next I connected my old crt via the vga and started the machine. After windows loaded I then reluctantly plugged the LCD with the DVI cable in when the computer was on and it turned on and flashed dvi connection on the LCD and worked ok. I then went into the ATI software and set the LCD as the primary display and rebooted again. Upon rebooting the LCD had no signal again and the crt said out of range. Thinking I had the setting flip flopped I repeated the previous steps and switched the primary display but after reboot it once again had no signal.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and software several times. I tried the old drivers for my old card, drivers that came with the new card and I downloaded the most current drivers directly from ATI all of this with no luck. Also, the drivers for my motherbard are also the most current. For good measure I actually took my monitor back to where I had purchased and had them hook it up via dvi and it checked ok.

As a last resort I disconnected all items that required power but were not needed suspecting insufficient power. Still the same result, no signal to lcd from dvi. I have checked the bios to see if there was anything to enable dvi but could not find anything that pertained to it. Also per another forum I read, I tried toggling the pnp in the bios between on and off but that made no difference.

I am at a loss. I have read several forums with the same problem but have yet to find a fix. I plan on exchanging my new X850 for another to assure that the dvi port is not faulty. Any information anyone has I would appreciate greatly. I know it will work when hooked via vga but as you all know dvi is the only way to go when using an LCD.

Thanks Alot!

My systen is:
AMD 2700+
ASUS A7N8X Mother Board
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
1.5 gb DDR 3200
ATI X850 Pro 256mb(1 vga, 1 dvi)
500 watt Antec Power Supply
Gateway FPD2185W 21" Widescreen LCD
Lite-On 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner
1 Western Digital 120gb HD-8mb
1 Western Digital 200gb HD-8mb
1 Seagate 250gb HD-16mb

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-25
Good (bad) news

I called Gateway Support and told them of my problem. With a little sweet talking I managed to convince the support lady to send me a new monitor.

First thing I noticed was that the "NO SIGNAL" graphic looked different (it now has 3 R/G/B squares). I plugged in DVI and boom, worked immediately (didn't work at all before).

I also noticed that the OSD version was 1.11 instead of 1.0 on the old-and-busted monitor.

Call gateway support and get the fixed version.

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-25
I have the same exact issue w/the same monitor (that I purchased at Best Buy 10 days ago) but an ATI X700 agp card. Prob just started to happen.
Called Gateway and they are shipping me a new monitor. I made them aware of this issue... seems we are not alone:
http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=16099

I must say, aside from this prob, the image is spectacular. I really like this screen... when it works.

Dan
dan.gros@gmail.com

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-25
I sent gateway the link to this thread (and another one), concerning this DMI-D cable issue and got this response:

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Based on the
documentation number you have provided, I have learned that there is a process that was made for your unit to be replaced. At this point, I would like to suggest that you have to wait for your replacement Monitor. Meanwhile, please try to use the VGA cable port for you to use your system.

Carson
Badge GWPE228
Online Customer Support Team
Gateway

I hope this solves it for us!!!

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-26
Same problem here.
I hava a HSI X850 Pro & a FujitsuSiemens W19-1.
The guys at FS recignized the issue. They had the same problem.
They had recieved a firmware uppgrade from ATI that solved the problem. I havent found it yet >> not tried it.. Will get back if I solve it..

Fabian

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-31
For what it's worth, I went in to our lab and hooked up an X850 to the Gateway FPD2185W and was able to connect with both VGA and DVI.

One thought might be to uninstall the ATI driver and see if the system at least comes up using the Windows VGA driver. Set the resolution to a common resoltuion, say 1024 x 768, and then reinstall the ATI drivers.

Darv

Portrait Displays
http://www.portrait.com

data/avatar/default/avatar40.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-22
Originally posted by daz0r:

Quote:I also noticed that the OSD version was 1.11 instead of 1.0 on the old-and-busted monitor. 
v1.11? Curious. What was the Manufacture Date (as reported by the Options/Asset ID in EzTune)?

For the record, both my original monitor and my replacement (now just two days old) have OSD v1.1.

-k

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-02-07
I was just googling around and found this topic. My FPD2185W just went to "no signal" with the DVI after 2 months of problem free use. Right now I have it hooked thru vga. For the others having this problem, I have a x850xt. I gotta go to work, but I play with this problem more later.

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-02-10
I posted this at another forum the other day but figured I would share it here as well.

Hey fellas,

Just wanted to chime in. I got this monitor(FPD2185W) from CC almost 2 weeks ago. I got home and was in love. The image quality is exelent, 2nd to none. However, after hooking it up I noticed the USB hub was not working. So after around a week I took it back and got another one.

Well, my second one worked great until I got home from work today. I turned it on and after a few minutes the gateway image software poped up and my resolution dropped. So I tried to reset it and no go, it would not change. A reboot did nothing but keep the DVI from working at all. I tried my mac-mini and nothing (no dvi).

I hooked my PC back up via VGA and it worked great.

So I did some research, found this forum ect... called gateway and the guy(woodrow) told me my monitor was wack. I told him this was my 2nd one and he told me he would try 1 more as he believes 3 strikes and you are out.

So I packed it back up and took it back to CC and questioned them about their lemon policy ect.. I ended up getting the 80 buck 2 year warranty from them so I can bring it back everytime it dies. If I have to return it 100 times over the next 2 years I will. I have never felt so relieved after spending 80 bucks on an extended warranty. At least I am covered now( I never buy those things).

I love the monitor, no dead pixels from what I can see on any of them.

However, I am on my 3rd monitor. Lets see how it goes. DVI is working good now and I am NOT going to install that gateway software.

BD

ah - I forgot to add the OSD version on both of them(dunno about the first) is 1.11

- if anyone every hears anything "official" from gateway about this issue, please let us know.

data/avatar/default/avatar36.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-03-27
Has anyone had any luck with this issue? Contacted Gateway and they are definitely aware of it but have offered no recourse. Did replacing the monitor with the newest OCD fix the issue for anyone?

Lost