Problem accessing 98 box from 2000 box

Hello. Am trying to share files/folders between a 98 and 2000 machine. I had it working with 98 on both, but once I upgraded one to 2000, it now wants a password to connect to the 2000 box. Whenever I try accessing the 98 box it shows it in network neighborhood, but when I double click it, it says not available.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-29
Hello. Am trying to share files/folders between a 98 and 2000 machine. I had it working with 98 on both, but once I upgraded one to 2000, it now wants a password to connect to the 2000 box. Whenever I try accessing the 98 box it shows it in network neighborhood, but when I double click it, it says not available. Both are using same workgroup name. Would like to know how to access it without a password, and why it keeps saying unavailable.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

3857 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-29
Log onto the Win98 box using the same credentials (username and password) of the Win2K box. Of course, I am assuming that they are both in the same workgroup.

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-29
OP
I got it to work. Had to change to shared level security instead of user level. Couldn't get it to work on both through user level, only one of them.