Problems loading Windows 2000

I have loaded Windows 2000 about 30 times now, both from Floppy set-up disks and also CD. During set up some DLL files fail to load and always, winlogon. exe does not load which obviously stops me running the software.

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar29.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-27
I have loaded Windows 2000 about 30 times now, both from Floppy set-up disks and also CD. During set up some DLL files fail to load and always, winlogon.exe does not load which obviously stops me running the software. I have formatted at least 10 times in Fat32 & Ntfs but the results are the same. I was running XP and had some problems so tried to load 2000 to get around this. It is not my PC but there has been at least one hardware change which was a Video card, changed to an AGP MSI Multimedia Beyond 3D. I don't know if the card installation ties up with the problems but I would welcome any help that could be given as I am at my wits end...........thanks in advance ;(

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-13
I only have a sec so here is a couple suggestions for starters.
If you have more than one stick of RAM then take one out and try installing with just one, if that fails try again with the other.
also go to the manufacturer of your hard drive and download a disk utility to check your hard drive for problems.
Remove everything but your video card and try installing again. IF that does not work then try the old card and see if you still get the problem.
leaving work now and will try to check in with you later.
S

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1615 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-25
if it is a pirated copy it could be corrupted
yet another reason not to use pirated software.

could be your cd rom drive. seems unlikely but possible.

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
Sounds like bad RAM; I've seen that several times on client workstations.

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-21
I'd have to agree with the bad ram. XP and 2K are very prone to install problems. I've seen it many many times myself. Of course it could be a bad cpu, vid card, or many other things. Isn't that the fun of PC's? Regardless, I'd go with the Ram issue. Or quit burning your pirated XP discs on cheap CDR's.

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

418 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-03-25
Those problems with RAM seem very unlikely. I use Win2K and have added more and more RAM over the last couple of years (currently 1GB)without any effect on the reinstalling of Windows. Can't vouch for WinXP, though.

I think the most likely cause of your problem is a corrupted installation disk. Is it a personal copy (I think a backup copy is admissible), or the original authentic disk? Either way, take a very close look at the working surface of the disk (hold it up to the light) and look for any scuffs or scratches. Especially near the start of the Setup, if errors are found in some of the important files (and Win2K uses a lot of dll files), the Setup won't proceed any further. Try to keep all your software disks pristine. Even mild mishandling of disks can introduce almost invisible scratches which can easily cause read errors.

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-21
Flakey or bad ram IS very likely. I've seen it many many times doing installs of XP and 2K.

To quote Highlander: "I was running XP and had some problems so tried to load 2000 to get around this."

Sounds like a typical hardware problem to me. like BAD RAM.