Untitled thread

My system started acting up recently, it doesn't recognise my samsung dvd or my philips cd/rw. In Device manager errors are in: Others / multimedia controller and Multimedia video controller. I've downloaded the drivers for each after an exhaustive search and tried to install them.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-08-27
My system started acting up recently, it doesn't recognise my samsung dvd or my philips cd/rw.
In Device manager errors are in: Others / multimedia controller and Multimedia video controller.
I've downloaded the drivers for each after an exhaustive search and tried to install them. The philips dos flash driver installer says it can't find the drive! (So what chance have I?)
I'm begining to suspect a Bios problem!

My system is: windows XP pro, P111 550mz 200mb ram
Samsung dvd sd-606, philips cd-rw cdd4201/81.

If anyone can direct me to an answer I would be very greatful,
Thanks in advance. Pete.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

690 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-06
There are known issues with Samsung SD drives so I would forget using that, the Philips also may be too old.
I think replacing some of the components will be required to get fully compatibility with XP.

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-08-27
OP
Thanks P J for your comments.

The thing is both these drives were working fine for a long time now. My kids were playing a harry potter game on the computer and the next day the system wouldnt even boot up!
It would get to the win xp window and stall. Then it would boot successfully 1 in 10 times.
I have the system booting properly now it just doesnt see the drives!

Should the drives be listed in the bios? because only the hard disks are.
Do you think the question marks in device manager I listed abobe are dvd faults?

Thanks again for any help

Pete