Windows 2000 on LGA motherboard / CPU

Is there any problem running Windows 2000 on a new system using an LGA 775 type motherboard / CPU ? I'm getting a new system with a Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro motherboard and Intel 3. 2 GHz CPU, and I want to install Windows 2000 Pro on it.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-05-05
Is there any problem running Windows 2000 on a new system using an LGA 775 type motherboard / CPU ?

I'm getting a new system with a Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro motherboard and Intel 3.2 GHz CPU, and I want to install Windows 2000 Pro on it.

The store I was planning to get the system from told me that I have to get Windows XP Pro because Windows 2000 won't run on LGA-type systems (in fact he said even XP Home won't run on it.)

The motherboard manual refers to installing drivers on Windows 2000, and I've seen LGA775 systems advertised with W2K installed, so I'm guessing the guy at the store is talking rubbish, but I thought I'd better check first.

I'm happy with Windows 2000 and I don't want to pay Microsoft a lot of money for an OS I don't want.

Anyone heard of any reason why I need to get XP for this system?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
I've installed Win 2K on a few Socket T motherboards and had no problems what so ever, if there was an issue with Win 2K, it would have to be in the device driver area, i.e., if Intel didn't produce INF/VGA drivers for the motherboard for any OS other then XP.

Since all the motherboards I've used, including those made by Intel, have come with Win 2K drivers, then you really have nothing to worry about.

Now one thing you would want to consider is if you were havint to purchase the OS with the system, then consider XP Pro over Win 2K pro, it's now actually cheaper for us system builders then Win 2K Pro

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
What the fellow in the store may have meant is that XP pro allows for hyperthreading while W2K is really set up for two processors. W2K should run on the board you are looking at, it is just that if you are going to do some graphic intensive stuff hyperthreading does speed things up.