Windows 2000 or XP on new PCs

I have been visiting several computer hardware websites offering pre-built systems and the option of Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro. Hmmm, sound interesting. If XP is so rock solid then why the option of a 3 year old OS? Did I miss something.

Everything New Technology 1823 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

117 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-14
I have been visiting several computer hardware websites offering pre-built systems and the option of Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro. Hmmm, sound interesting. If XP is so rock solid then why the option of a 3 year old OS? Did I miss something. I ponder reverting back to 2000 Pro often. Did something happen in the industry to warranty the "option" of an OLDER alternative to "the future of computing" OS? Any thoughts or comments.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar36.webp

1207 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-27
There has always been the option of purchasing a new PC with any OS still supported by MS.
The last time I cheked over at Dell I could order my servers with NT4 pre-installed.
It is for backwards compatability.
I have an AD domain at work and I have made the standard workstation either Win2k SP3 or Redhat Linux 7.3 (8.0 for the advanced users who can support themselves).
For that reason any new workstation/desktop I purchase will have Win2k on.
Servers have Win2k Server.
Laptop's are slightly different, I personally feel that battery life and other features work better under WinXP, so I've made that the standard for any new laptop.
My work PC is also WinXP however that is my prefered OS and as I'm the Sys Admin that is my call.

Contact the PC company in question and ask them what the percentage is on the OS's installed on new systems.
Even though the older OS's are available I think you'll find that 80%+ of customers will chose the latest and certainly the greatest.
Personally I'll never go back to Win2k either at home or at work - that is an old OS (2.5yrs) and WinXP excels in every area.

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
The topic of which is superior, 2000/XP, has been discussed many times here... The conclusion remains basically 'use what you have, or what you're most comfortable with.'