Windows Terminal v1.16.1023 (10231 and 10232)
After a long wait, many of the features in Terminal Preview 1.16 are making their way to the stable channel:
- Themes: Terminal now has support for themes!
- We have a new experimental text rendering engine, which is off by default. It's faster and handles some situations better (and some much worse, like certain fonts that don't have a true "italic" style). You can enable it in the Rendering settings.
- This release marks the triumphant return of the "adjust brightness of indistinguishable colors" feature
- For the old conhost fans in the room, you can now set experimental.enableColorSelection (global, bool, default false)
After this release, Terminal Stable is moving to a quarterly feature release cycle. Since we're the default console host in Windows 11 October 2022 Update, some care is required in how quickly we distribute updates. That having been said: there will still be servicing updates and Preview channel updates, so stay tuned!
Please see the following release notes for additional details:
- Windows Terminal Preview v1.16.252
- Windows Terminal Preview v1.16.264
- Windows Terminal Preview v1.16.346
Note that the new scrollbar mark feature is not included in this Stable build. Yet.Preinstallation Kit infoWhy are there so many packages? How do I choose?
This version was made available to the Dev External flighting ring (Windows Insiders) first, and will be
released to general availability later depending on its reliability.
In addition to the above, we've backported the following changes and bugfixes from Windows Terminal Preview 1.16:
- The contents of the Terminal package are now code-signed, so those of you who deploy it unzipped will no longer get in
trouble with your IT folks ( #14710)
- We now attempt to account for transparent tab backgrounds when calculating the text foreground color ( #14643)
- You can now drag/drop more than 16 items directly out of 7-Zip (and some other applications) ( #14648) (thanks @jiejasonliu!)
- Malformed settings objects will no longer cause an "Application error 0x%" settings warning ( #14668)
- We've updated the JSON schema to contain theme objects ( #14672) ( #14666)
- We've removed a leading cause of crashes closing panes and tabs while screen reading was active ( #14714)
- Input will no longer (rarely) trigger a crash when a screen reader is enabled ( #14694)
- wpf: stop dereferencing null pointers already! come on, it's 2023! ( #14678)
- We have removed our dependency on Microsoft.Toolkit.Win32.UI.XamlApplication.dll ( #14520)
- Our internal management window will no longer appear as an empty pane to screen readers ( #14541)
With additional documentation, code health, grammar, spelling, workflow security and maintenance help from @AtariDreams,
@musvaage, @sashashura, @grammar-police, @Dan-Albrecht, @d-caldasCaridad and @ianjoneill, @jsoref. Thanks so much!
Microsoft has released Windows Terminal v1.16.1023 (10231 and 10232) with support for themes and other improvements.