Age of Empires Gold and Windows 2000

I recently bought Age of Empires Gold. Thought it was a nice classic, and I should try it. The box listed a whole slew of Windows versions, including NT and XP, and while Win2K wasn't mentioned, I was kind of hoping.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar20.webp

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-11-03
I recently bought Age of Empires Gold. Thought it was a nice classic, and I should try it. The box listed a whole slew of Windows versions, including NT and XP, and while Win2K wasn't mentioned, I was kind of hoping...

Well, it doesn't work. The game runs, the videos and menus show, but it drops to the desktop once an actual game starts. I'm using Win2K SP3 with a GeForce3 and latest drivers.

Is this problem solvable? The listing says that people managed to run this game on Windows 2000.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

238 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-25
i had the same problem with windows XP.
Does it happen in a network game too?

I think if you update the game it should work, and maybe disable some background apps....

data/avatar/default/avatar18.webp

484 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-23
Try my FAQ

Also try microsoft's support.

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-11-03
OP
This may be a problem with NVIDIA drivers. Two computers, one running an GeForce2, and another a GeForce3, dropped to the desktop in the same way. Another computer with an integrated SiS chipset ran the game fine. All were running Windows 2000 SP3 with DX9 installed.

Immortal, what display card do you have?

484 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-23
Try lowering your video acceleration.

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-11-03
OP
Tested this early on, after seeing MS's faq. The game either doesn't run at all, if the acceleration level is too low, or drops to the desktop.

484 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-23
Did you try Microsoft's ACT2.6? Read the FAQ I linked to above for more info.

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

238 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-25
Quote:
Immortal, what display card do you have?

Yeah, im using a TNT2 Pro with the 41.09 drivers....

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

139 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-04
Aoe 2 Gold work well with Win2K but it's a bit buggy. At least it seemed that way with SP3 loaded. I have a beta copy of SP4, so maybe I should see if it works better.

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

139 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-04
BTW, I have a GF 4 4200 128MB Video card(Asus) using the latest beta drivers and DX9.

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-11
What edition is "Gold Edition"? I know i am running xp, but i have been running age of empires, rise of rome, age of empires to and age of mythology absolutely fine - no problems. It might be worth checking ou the updates tho. Seem to fix a few AI problems.