Can Win 2000 be used as a file server?

I have a group of clients (20) that use a Win 98 machine as a file server. They also run Win98. I want to increase security for the system at a minimal cost. I want to install Win 2000 Professional on the file server and create user accounts for all of the clients.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

10 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-11
I have a group of clients (20) that use a Win 98 machine as a file server. They also run Win98.

I want to increase security for the system at a minimal cost.

I want to install Win 2000 Professional on the file server and create user accounts for all of the clients. That way I can control who sees what and who has access to any given folder depending on their user name and password.

Is this the way to go?

Does Win 2000 Pro have a user number limitation?

Should I use XP Professional instead?

Thanks to anone who can advise me on this...

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

3857 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-29
All Windows NT OSs have 10 concurrent connection limits, so you will be capped to 10 regardless of version (NT4, Win2K Pro, WinXP Pro). I would not suggest that you use it as a server because hitting that cap can get really annoying (I had to do it in an emergency, and it's very easy to run up 10 connections).

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Especially since the "connection" does not end for quite some time even if the file copy is finished.

ALso you mention that your clients are using 98? Are you running a peer-to-peer network? If so your clients are just running around using anonymous access. In a 9x environment using 2k as your file server and with no PDC to authenticate your users would have to "log on" using a username/password that you would have to set for all 20 users.

It would be far easier to pick up 1 copy of NT4/2K server, although it hurts me deeply to say this you can then make your file server a PDC/file server (Bleh!) I recommend 2k. You could then even start using AD and install the AD client on your 9x desktops....or go the cheap route and pick up NT4.

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

391 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-07-24
You will not save any $$ buy using Pro.
Maybe upfront cost, but after a few month and many extra hours spent you will realize that Server was a cheaper/easier way to go.
Not to mention 10 user connection limit.

Just think off all time you can save by automating software rollouts, upgrades patches....

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

10 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-11
OP
I am running a peer to peer network.

If I get the 2K server, do you think that it will meet my needs as far as the individual security issues go?

We have an 'old' copy of NT4 Server with 4 licenses that was used on our accounting server before we brought in an entirely new system. Can I use this or would it be better to get 2K Server? Or XP for that matter?

I don't want to have to replace the OS again in the next year or so because I have read that NT4 support is being shelved in the next year.

Thanks.....

163 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
NT4 still is a great OS, but remember that you can't do what you want (legaly) with only 4 licenses. you will have to purchase extra CALs to use your machines. Just look at all the places running anchient Novell 3 and 4 servers. Just because something is old does not mean it is useless.

If you have to invest in purchasing additional Client Access Licenses, then perhaps you should look into 2000 server. Get all your purchases out of the way and you will be set for some time.

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

17 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-05-28
"increase security at a minimal cost"

can anybody say *NIX?

163 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
Why does everyone assume Unix and Linux are so much more secure than windows? Yes MS has had an abundant amount of security flaws recently, however when I first started out in the IT industry, the words Hacker and Network Security immediately brought images of Unix machines being comprimised.

Lets face it, right now there are more systems running windows than any other OS. For a hacker, it makes sence to go after the largest install base, especially in the age of ddos and mass mail attacks. If Unix or Linux were on all the desktops we would be saying the same thing about them, as that would be where all the applications hackers and script kiddies would be targeting. How many problems were found and ultimately patched in the sendmail daemon alone?

Long story short, all vendors have security flaws.... even the 'unbreakable oracle' was comprimised. MS just got the most bad press from it. Please excuse the rant, but I hate it when people bash microsoft security and miss all the other security flaws out there. Now if you will excuse me, I must write my new password down on a post it note and attach it to the bottom of my keyboard.

-RY

60 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-26
Agreed! If Linux were the desktop standard distributed by the mfg's and OEMs, we would still be in the boat we're in now. Also, as popularity for Linux grows, it will be noticed and more widely available to be hacked <even more than it is today>.

Well...there was my two cents worth