Freelancer on Windows 2000

Hey, just wondering if anybody can help me out getting the game Freelancer working under Windows 2000? Every time I run it, it's missing half the audio, music and dialog. It makes the game absolutely unplayable.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar20.webp

17 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-03-26
Hey, just wondering if anybody can help me out getting the game Freelancer working under Windows 2000? Every time I run it, it's missing half the audio, music and dialog. It makes the game absolutely unplayable.

I've tried it on four systems now, the first two had identical hardware to oneanother, one running Windows XP and the other running 2000, it worked fine on the XP box but had the audio problem on the 2000 box. The other two systems were also identical to eachother hardware wise, and again, one running XP and the other 2k, and the exact same problem occurred. It's apparent that it's not a hardware issue, the game just doesn't like Windows 2000.

This looks like a great game and I'm dying to play it, so if anybody can help me get it working, that would be great, thanks!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

17 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-03-26
OP
Bump. Can anybody help me at all here?? Any advice that you can offer would be great!

Thanks again.

17 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-03-26
OP
Thanks for the link, I just went through the MS troubleshooting to the letter, but it unfortunately made no difference at all. =(

Interesting point of note though, the Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec that it says to uninstall and reinstall, wasn't present in my codecs. As soon as I discovered that I felt certain that installing them off the Freelancer disc would solve the problem, but unfortunately, it didn't. =(

Any other ideas, or am I pretty much doomed at this point? =(

17 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-03-26
OP
Yikes, the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814549/en reamed up ALL my audio quite badly. I kept getting glitches, skips, and whitenoise, on everything, including WinAmp and movie files. Yech...

I managed to get everything else working again by patching/reinstalling my SoundBlaster drivers, but I'm back at square one not being able to play Freelancer!

Any ideas anyone? =/

17 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-03-26
OP
Bump. Any other ideas anyone? Thanks!