Stock temps on X1800XL and other heat issues

I recently purchased an AIW X1800XL (great card, by the way) and I am using it in my HTPC (ensure you have a large case for this card - it goes all the way to the opposite edge of the motherboard). I replaced the stock cooler with a Zalman VF700-Cu LED VGA cooler and Zalman RAMsinks.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

165 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-08
I recently purchased an AIW X1800XL (great card, by the way) and I am using it in my HTPC (ensure you have a large case for this card - it goes all the way to the opposite edge of the motherboard). I replaced the stock cooler with a Zalman VF700-Cu LED VGA cooler and Zalman RAMsinks. I really didn't check before but I think the card was running at almost 81 degrees Centigrade before I changed out the cooler and now it runs around 74 degrees (this is all at idle). This is from the Overdrive panel in my Catalyst Control Center. I am using Artic Silver 5 TIM. On another note I am running the Zalman 9500 Cooler on my X2 3800+ CPU and it sits at about 50C at idle. This is in an HTPC case and I have setup the airflow so the rear exhaust fans are drawing from the 9500 to aid the flow (and as per Zalman's instructions) but these temperatures seem high to me. I feel pretty proficient at TIM application but I feel there is something wrong. I really haven't even loaded the system so I can't testify to the loaded temps but these idle temps seem rather high. Please advise if anyone knows any tips or tricks or if I am just being paranoid. Thanks.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
Unfortunately, I don't have your card. Therefore, I can't tell you from experience. From what I have read most of the reviews do say that the card runs pretty hot 85C to 90C. They all suggest using a different cooling method. In one effort I saw that a fellow used a watercoled solution and got it down to 60C. Given those specs, I would say that you have significantly reduced the temperature on that card.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

165 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-08
OP
Thanks Sampson. Helpful as always. That makes me feel a little better. I know the Zalman coolers I have been using on my other cards seem to reduce case and GPU temps but this just seemed high to me. I think I remember seeing reviews like that too, especially referring to the high clock speeds and such of the core and memory on the new X1800 series cards. I think I am going to go watercooling with it but I am not sure yet as I have an HTPC and about the only video water cooling I could do would be the Thermaltake Tidewater (unless I wanted to go external which I don't). Plus that setup is TALL to say the least and although my Silverstone LC18 has plenty of space...it might just be a little too short. Thanks again.