ATI Radeon 9200SE not working properly

hello everyone, I am new to this community. I had purchased a graphics card ASUS 9200 SE last year. It is not functioning properly. When i connect it , the display on monitor is in form of coloured lines (vertical).

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
hello everyone,
I am new to this community.I had purchased a graphics card ASUS 9200 SE last year. It is not functioning properly. When i connect it , the display on monitor is in form of coloured lines (vertical) .
I cant figure it out what might be the issue, but when i connect my monitor input to onboard video graphics i get clear picture on monitor,
Please help!!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

690 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-06
you may need to disable the onboard graphics card and change the default video port in the BIOS to get a good picture.

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
While Windows is up using the onboard graphics, go to the Control Panel, click on Add/Remove software and find the video drivers for the onboard graphics and uninstall them. After doing so, Windows will want to reboot. Tell it no. Then, proceed to Shutdown not just restart. When the machine is shut down, install your new card (if you haven't already done so. Power up the machine, when you see the message (Hit DEL or whatever button to get into the BIOS) do so. Once into the BIOS, as peterh says, disable the onboard graphics and change the default to the video port. When you exit the BIOS, be sure to write the changes. When Windows comes up, it may already be using the drivers you previously installed or it may tell you that it has found new hardware and want to install the drivers for it. Use the CD that came with your card to install the drivers. Be sure to follow the instructions. For many cards this requires that you disable your anti-virus while you install the drivers.

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
hi i have just a question.

if the builder of my machine dosn't have drivers gor linux how can i put linux on my machine

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
Actually, you should create a new thread since this has no relevance to the topic discussed here. Having said that, many versions of Linux are free. One of the more popular one's is Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
OP
Thanks a lot Peter and Sampson for your help, really appreciate that!
just one more thing i wanted to clarify from you guys is that before i try this out, i hope that my graphics card is fine, cause my local vendor was telling me that your graphics card might have damaged its VRAM
Regards

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
The only way you will know is to install the card properly. If it doesn't run, you can swap it for a good one.

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
OP
hi Sampson,
i tried your trick you had suggested the other day,
what i did was as follows..
1) uninstall the onboard graphics driver
2) shutdown machine
3) connect graphics card and change video port
4) then switched on the PC , but it was still showing those colored vertical lines

so, during next try, i didnt connect the videoport to graphics card one and switched the PC on,
in this case i was not getting a picture at all!, the monitor kept blinking without any picture
The moment i remove graphics card from , and connect the video port to the onboard one, i soon got the picture
i hope that my motherboard slot for graphics card is intact!
plzz help!

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
OP
somebody plzz respond!

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Did you disable the onboard graphics in the bios, as suggested earlier?

You didn't mention what motherboard this is, or what make and model system that you have.

If not, then the onboard driver will continue to be re-installed when Windows starts and cause the issue.

Also, this is an AGP video card and not a PCI card, correct?

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. danleff has asked whether you diabled the onboard video in bios. That is an important step. You did not list it in your note above. Go through the steps outlined previously. Be sure that you go to Add/Remove and get rid of all video drivers you see installed. What this does is cause Windows to revert to Standard VGA so that any card will be recognized when it is defaulted and you can then put in your own drivers. Also, as danleff has implied, you might want to see if your motherboard is compatible with the card you are attempting to install.

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
OP
hi,
sorry i did not provide info about my system.

Intel 865GBF,2.8GHz
512 mb ram
graphics card -> Asus Radeon 9200 SE

i did as suggested by sampson, and when connected the graphics card and attached my monitor cable to it, the same problem continued i.e vertical coloured lines

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
OP
Sampson,
i had also uninstalled all the previous drivers for the onboard card and then shut the PC down,

then i connected the card, and connected the monitor cable to this card,
then when i turn ON my PC, i continue to get the lines

so, no chance to going to BIOS!

Thanks for your suggestions!! REGARDS!

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

397 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-06-17
Anupam, I had a similar problem when I put in a new card. How I fixed it was to go into the display properties and change the settings inside. As soon as I reset the settings everything worked like a dream.

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
I l;ooked at the Intel web site. This is what they say about the
865GBF;

Quote:What is the Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 controller? 
Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 controller is the integrated graphics controller within the Intel® 82865G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH). The Intel® 865G chipset contains two separate, mutually exclusive graphics options. Either the Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 controller (contained within the 82865G GMCH) is used, or an AGP add-in video card can be used. When an AGP add-in video card is installed, the integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 controller is disabled.

So apparently a bios change is not needed. They also say;

Quote:What add-in AGP cards can be used? The D865GBF AGP socket is keyed for Universal 0.8 V AGP cards that comply with the AGP 3.0 specification or 1.5 V AGP cards that comply with the AGP 2.0 specification. The AGP connector supports 8x, 4x AGP 3.0 add-in cards operating at 0.8V, or 4x, 1x AGP 2.0 add-in cards operating at 1.5V.
Note: There is no support for AGP 2x operation or legacy 3.3V AGP cards.

I don't know if the 9200 SE meets these standatds. I can't seem to find this exact information.

Some troubleshooting guides can be found here on the Asus site (I hope the link will work).

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
OP
hi ,
thanks for your information, i really appreciate!

the card was working fine a few days back!
i was playing a game, then suddenly this happened (vertical coloured lines) and computer restarted and the lines were apparent

2895 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-30
Well, OK, you did not mention this before. In this case, it sounds like a hardware issue.

The best way to test the video card, would be to test it on another computer to see if the video card has gone bad.

But, make sure that the video card is peoperly seated in the AGP slot. On some systems, you need to apply a little pressure when seating the card in the AGP slot. Also make sure that when you secured the card with the retention screw, that the card does not partially pop out of the slot on the far end. Some cards fit somewhat tightly on some motherboards and this can happen.

On inspection, you should only be able to see a little of the gold connectors on the card in the AGP slot. What is exposed should be even.

How long was the card working before this happened?

It actually may be that the video card went south, if the card was working properly for a time.

But, make sure that the card is peoperly seated in the AGP slot.

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-08
OP
hi,
sorry i didnt mention that before, i had purchased it in march 2005 , it was working fine till a two weeks ago when i had this issue.

I have given the card to my vendor who will forward it to Asus support services.
lets see what he tells me , else will surely try to connect it on a friends computer and see

Thanks a lot for your help , really appreciate it!