Riddled with adware win2000 server.

My friend got a dell pc (old server running win2000) from a company that went bust. She started using it on the internet without any anti-virus. I have managed to remove the viruses by installing AVG but can't remove adware because ad-ware, after starting scan causes isass.

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

107 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-18
My friend got a dell pc (old server running win2000) from a company that went bust. She started using it on the internet without any anti-virus.

I have managed to remove the viruses by installing AVG but can't remove adware because ad-ware, after starting scan causes isass.exe to interupt and shutdown windows.

Followed path for isass.exe (showing all hidden and protected os files) the programe doesn't exist.

Don't want to spend money on more adware to find it also doesn't work.

Can't boot from disc (don't have one).

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-11-11
Yup, sounds like Sasser to me...

Man, Sasser is almst as good as the Blaster was....dang

GL!

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

352 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-28
You can actually stop the shutdown process by going to Start, then Run and running shutdown -a

shutdown -a ---->stops the shutdown process.

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

107 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-18
OP
Wasn't sasser, ran fix but no infection found.

Managed to run ad-aware and removed 1500 critical items.

Ran spybot but still getting the odd pop-up and iexplore closes itself occasionally.

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

690 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-06
Lsass.exe is the 'Net Logon' process, a vital part of authenticating with windows. Sasser can infect this process and cause instant reboots.
Installing the MS04-11 update and the sasser removal tool will get rid of it.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

I am not sure which antispyware programs work on Windows Servers but best protection is to make sure all the latest security patches are installed.

Running SUS in a commercial environment will ensire all desktops are regularly updated:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
If you must run IE, and since it is closing down mysteriously, you probably have a number of browser helper objects attached. Download BHODemon: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3550 and have it help you find and get rid of them.
Start using a different browser - Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, or K-Meleon. Use IE only to update windows.