SimCity 3000 installation with windows xp

Hewlett Packard installed a new hard drive in my computer and now I can't get SC 3000 to install. It's the only program giving me grief. I keep getting the following message: 16 Bit windows sub-system C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-07-24
Hewlett Packard installed a new hard drive in my computer and now I can't get SC 3000 to install. It's the only program giving me grief. I keep getting the following message:

"16 Bit windows sub-system

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application"

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?????

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
Sadie, what kind of video card do you have?

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-12-27
I have the same features and It still Won't run. The system file still won't run, compatability won't run, and the colors won't run with screen resolution. I meet system Requirements, and Have XP. Any other suggestions?

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-12-27
Would putting that repair command code have any chance of totally killing your Windows Files?

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-01-29
I too have simcity 3000 and played it on my old computer, but now I have Windows XP, and when I go to install the game I get an error message of "C:/windows/system32/autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application." I have read all the tips on this page, but I do not understand how to copy C:\Windows\Repair\Autoexec.nt to C:\Windows\system32. to the root. Can anyone give me a walkthrough on this? Please!

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
ChristyNichole, bring up Windows Explorer. Click on the + next to My Computer, then click on the + next to Local Disk ©, then click on the + next to Windows, then click on the Repair folder. Then, click on the file Autoexec.nt . Hold down the Ctrl button and then the letter C on your keyboard (Ctrl-C). This will copy the file. Now, using the mouse click on the system32 folder. Then, hold down the Ctrl button and then the letter V (Ctlr-V). You will then be prompted that the file already exists, do you want to copy over it, click on Yes. You're done. (You might also want to copy Config.nt from \repair to \system32 also).

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-03-19
I now have SimCity 3000 working on xp pro sp2. I am running an AMD64 3000 processor, 1gb dual mem, twin gf6600 sli graphics cards.
The game runs in 32bit colour depth and at 1280 x 1024 resolution. It looks lovely! I havn't needed to change any compatibility settings.

I tried to install in on my AMD64, the installation would start, but when it reached the blue screen it wouldn't go any further, no error message, just stop.

I ended up installing it without a hitch on an old Dell Latitude 400mhz laptop i got, running xp pro sp2. I then installed the BAT patch:
http://simcity3000unlimited.ea.com/us/simexchange/downloads/sc3k_bat/index.phtml

It ran without any problems on the laptop. I then, over the LAN, copied the whole C:\program files\Maxis directory to the AMD64.

I run the game from C:\program files\maxis\simcity 3000\game\sc3.exe

I get 2 error messages when the game loads, and after that it's fine.

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-05-27
Thanks everyone, especially Sampson, for the posts. I went from clicking on the "Install SimCity 3000" button incessantly and getting no reaction from Windows, to having this game installed and running on XP SP2 in about 10 minutes. Freakin' Sweet!

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-30
I got a similar problem with SC3000 Unlimited.

I got Windows XP SP2, and I succeed at installing SimCity 3000 Unlimited on my PC, but when I open it, right after the intro movie, I hear the sounds of the menus but I don't get the screen. Plus, just before the intro movie, some window pops up, but I can't read the text cause it's too small. I press "Okay" and then the rest happens.

Then I tried a few tips said on this forum, and now I can't install the game at all! I tried the "Running in compatibility mode" on both Windows 98 and 2000, still nothing works. The install goes well till the end at precisely 99%, when a window pops up saying "unspecified file cannot be found" and something like that. Then it reaches 100% and another window pops up, saying that the install will now abort.]

Anyone with advice will be greatly appreciated.

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

397 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-06-17
First off, we need to know what the message is that you are clicking ok on. Secondly we need to know what file can't be found.
Only then can we really help you at all.

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-10-01
I'm trying to shut down my computer but, it doesn't shut down
I don't know what's the problem. Any body can help resolve this
problem?

Thank you!

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-10-01
I need High Definition Audio driver

How can I get That?

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-10-02
I have a problem with installing Sim City 3k unlimited, which I have yet to see posted here. When I put the disk in the driver, it makes the musical sound, but nothing pops up on the screen, so I go to my computer and open up the cd, and nothing I do makes it pop up. Can anyone help me?