NortonAV2000 v. 6.0 stops scanning at 16%

For no apparent reason, Norton Anti-Virus 2000 version 6. 0 will stop at 16% of completion no matter what I do. Win2000Pro's error report simply says, NAVWNT. EXE is no longer running. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice with no change.

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
For no apparent reason, Norton Anti-Virus 2000 version 6.0 will stop at 16% of completion no matter what I do. Win2000Pro's error report simply says, "NAVWNT.EXE is no longer running".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice with no change. And, since Norton is no longer supporting NAV2000, can't get any help from that end.

Any ideas? At this point, I'm not certain that even upgrading to NAV2002 will solve the problem, since NAV2000 was working just fine until this litte glitch came along.

BTW, 16% happens to be during a scan of Java\data file or files.

SnapperOne

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

364 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
this is usually because there are corrupt *.ZIP or compressed files on ur system. what you need to do is to "disable the scanning of compressed files".

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
OP
bobbinbrisco.......

Excluded all *.zip files. Same problem, at the same place; namely, 16% of the total scan completed.

Noticed that 16% of each scan was in the C\WINNT\Java\Packages subdirectory, and that this subdirectory is comprised almost entirely of zip files.

So, excluded c\WINNT\Java\*.* Same problem, but this time the scan stopped at 15% of the scan. I would imagine the change from 16% to 15% is due to my attempting to scan fewer files.

Any and all suggestions "cheerfully" accepted.

SnapperOne

364 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
did u actually "disable all compressed files" instead of just merely disabling *.zip files ?

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
OP
bobbinbrisco...........

Nope, can't say I did! Just *.zip, since I don't think I know what the command would be for disabling compressed files; i.e....all zip files = *.zip. All compressed files = ?

Steven

p.s.: While I'm trying to figure out what's up with my Norton's 2000, I'm also trying to find out more about a virus killer called NOD32. While the initial purchase of $80 and following year(s) ongoing support is a bit steep ($56), the reviews I have been able to find indicate it's a hell of a program.

data/avatar/default/avatar36.webp

193 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-12-26
In order to disable the scanning of ALL compressed files, you just need to go to options-->manual scan, and then deselect the "scan within compressed files".
But i am not sure if this is going to solve your problem since you tried excluding the java folder already.
I assume that you installed the latest patches with liveupdate...
Try also setting Bloodhound Heuristics to default level rather than highest level of protection.

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
OP
bobbinbrisco.......

Well, you were right; unchecking "scan compressed files" did the trick.

But, just to make certain, I erased the D\WINNT\Java\*.* and *.zip entries in my exclusion list, running a full scan after each deletion, but leaving "scan compressed files" unchecked. So, now that it appears the problem is being caused by "a compressed file" located in the Java\packages or java\packages\data subdirectories, any idea how I go about finding the offending file. Should I be looking for anything other than a .zip file?

Regardless of whether you can take me further into this, thanks for the help you have provided so far.

SnapperOne (aka Steven)

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
OP
bobbinbrisco & thymios..........

Just a quick update.

Scanned all .zip files, one by one, on my hard drive. Each one scanned to completion, as well as scanning clean. Unless there are other types of compressed files I can search for, I guess I am at a dead end finding the file that is hanging up my full system scans.

Thanks for your help.

SnapperOne

364 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
you can always goto Symantec's Homepage and goto the support page. it will usually take 24hours for someone to answer a question. hope this helps.

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
OP
bobbinbrisco

Thanks for the thought, but I believe Nortons no longer supports NAV2000. Or I should say, I went to the site for another reason about 3 months ago and rec'd a response saying as much. I guess, however, there is a chance they couldn't help me resolve that type of issue any longer vs. a general withdrawal of support. Suppose I should follow your suggestion and at least give them a chance to say no.

SnapperOne (aka Steven)

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

163 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
I have seen this happen many times before. scanning individual compressed files will not reproduce it, it happens to be when you are scanning many compressed files in a row. Possibly also compressed files inside of other compressed files can cause this. My best guess was that either NAV is running out of memory due to the sheer number of compressed files, or swap space.

I solved the issue the same way you did, by eliminating the scanning of those files and letting the realtime scanner handle new archives.

-RY

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
OP
ryoko

Thanks for the heads-up. I was starting to think I was the only one having this problem. So, now that it looks as if it is a NAV2000 issue, I will re-double my efforts to learn about an AntiVirus program I ran across a few weeks ago, NOD32.

Thanks again.

Steven

163 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
Steven,

I have a friend that also had this problem. He upgraded to NAV 2002 and I believe that fixed the problem. I will e-mail him to be make sure that worked, and then get back to you.

-RY

163 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
This may, or may not be of help to you. Go to symantec's web site, and go into their support section. Select your antivirus version (it is now in other) and go the the knowledge base. find the windows scanner section, and then go to artical 48.47

That is their generic help for this problem, but it may be of some use. Then again NOD32 might be your best bet, but it looks expensive.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav/discontinued.html

-RY

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
OP
ryoko

Yep, NOD32 is a tad expensive. As I remember, it's a $79 purchase with a 2nd and subsequent years support and upgrade fee of $50/yr.

To tell the truth, however, setting aside the fact the NOD32 appears as if it may be a better AV program, I've already invested more than $79 in my time screwing around with Nortons..........sooooo, whose the dummy trying to figure out how to use Nortons.

SnapperOne (aka Steven)

163 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-30
Please don't think I'm trying to push you into using Norton, I just wanted to help out and save you a buck instead of having to buy another solution when you already paid for Norton. Personally I could care less what you use.

NOD32 is an excellent program, however it requires a little work on the pop3 scanning. I've seen the price you mentioned quoted, however it was not in American dollars. You should be able to get it for quite a bit less than what you mentioned.

Well, good luck with what ever you go with.
-RY

199 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-03-30
OP
ryoko

Not to worry; I didn't take for a moment that you were pushing Nortons! In fact, can't say I've come across a topic on NTC where there was a sense about somebody trying to "sell" someone a particular piece of equipment or software. That's what's cool about NTC, just folks sharing info with other folks.

As for buying NOD32 vs. figuring a way around Nortons.......truthfully, I'm not certain what I am going to do. At the moment, I busy enough trying to stay employed, keep a roof over our heads, and pay unnecessarily high taxes so the Dems & Rubs can have an outrageously expensive retirement plan.........at our expense of course.

As always, thanks for the help.

SnapperOne (aka Steven)