Microsoft has released Windows Server Preview Build 25977 to Windows Insiders.
Announcing Windows Server Preview Build 25977
Today we are pleased to release a new build of the next Windows Server Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) Preview that contains both the Desktop Experience and Server Core installation options for Datacenter and Standard editions. Branding has not yet been updated and remains as Windows Server 2022 in this preview - when reporting issues please refer to "VNext" rather than Windows Server 2022 which is currently in market.
These new features are specific to Windows Server with Desktop Experience only. Some of these will require running the OS on physical systems AND having the right drivers on hand.
- Additions to Settings>Accounts: Email & Accounts is now consistent with Windows 11. Please note, that domain join will still be necessary for most scenarios.
- Increased coverage for Bluetooth devices. Many of you want to use BT to connect mice, keyboards, and audio devices at the Edge. Please try out your favorite keyboard, mouse, headphones, or other BT peripheral!
- Wi-Fi present by default. Many of you want to connect servers to Wi-Fi networks at the Edge. While Wireless LAN service has been present in Windows Server, it was disabled by default. Wi-Fi support is now currently enabled by default for Edge scenarios. You will need the appropriate hardware and drivers handy. Please verify that your wireless devices work properly. When hardware and the correct drivers are present, see the corresponding Settings and Taskbar experiences. Let us know what you think!
- First login privacy settings: this is not the final version, but you will notice a Windows 11 like first login “OOBE” experience, albeit limited to user privacy settings.
SMB over QUIC Client Access Control
Starting with this build (Build 25977), SMB over QUIC now supports additional access control options for clients. This improves the existing SMB over QUIC feature, which introduced an alternative to the TCP network transport, providing secure, reliable connectivity to edge file servers over untrusted networks like the Internet.
- With this new option, administrators can restrict which clients can access SMB over QUIC servers. This option gives organizations additional SMB over QUIC connection protections but does not change the Windows authentication used to make the SMB connection or the end user experience.
- This new feature requires both the Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25977 as well as a Windows Server Insider Preview Build 25977 or higher running in a VM.
- For more information on configuring SMB over QUIC client access control, review https://aka.ms/SmbOverQuicCAC.
This build has an issue where archiving eventlogs with "wevetutil al" command causes the Windows Event Log service to crash, and the archive operation to fail. The service must be restarted by executing "Start-Service EventLog" from an administrative command line prompt.
If you have Secure Launch/DRTM code path enabled, we do not recommend that you install this build.
- Windows Server Long-Term Servicing Channel Preview in ISO format in 18 languages, and in VHDX format in English only.
- Microsoft Server Languages and Optional Features Preview
Azure Marketplace: When available, Insiders with Azure subscriptions may also test previews of server products in the Microsoft Server Operating Systems Preview in the Azure Marketplace.
Expiration: This Windows Server Preview will expire September 15, 2024.
How to Download
Registered Insiders may navigate directly to the Windows Server Insider Preview download page. If you have not yet registered as an Insider, see GETTING STARTED WITH SERVER on the Windows Insiders for Business portal.