Possible Fix to W2k VIA KX133 and Geforce woes!

Hi all. . . I found a possible fix on another hardware forum, so I thought I'd post a link here for the fix. MS have updated their Product Support page with a fix for the Athlon/VIA/Geforce/Win2k hanging problem with the AGP driver.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

187 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-23
Hi all...

I found a possible fix on another hardware forum, so I thought I'd post a link here for the fix.

MS have updated their Product Support page with a fix for the Athlon/VIA/Geforce/Win2k hanging problem with the AGP driver.

I haven't personally tried it yet as I'm still at work.
But heres the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q270/7/15.ASP

Try it and see if it helps!

Laters

Homer

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

187 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-23
OP
My god it actually works!

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

97 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-07
I haven't had the chance to try it out yet in 3D games, but I do offer one warning. I had to disable PowerStrip or PSTRIP.SYS would give me a BSOD on bootup. You might want to do this *before* you apply the fix (unless you like gettings BSODs, that is). So far the rest of the computer (i.e. everything but 3D acceleration) seems stable enough, and I'll report back on how 3D games went once I try some.

187 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-23
OP
I played Elite Force for about four hours last night without a problem. Usually it will crash at somepoint.

Unreal Tournament has been quite unstable recently and ran quite nicely for about 30 minutes while I was playing.

I have also re-enabled ACPI on my system too, and it doesn't seem to have had the effect it used to, ie crashing after about 20 seconds.

Homer

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

11 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-10-02
no help on my machine, still crashes regularly...

Did disabling ACPI actually prevent crashes prior to this fix ?